03 January 2010

they called for an air quality advisory

No smoke is in the air but being inside my apartment prevents me from smelling much.

After running errands I rehearsed Britten's Canticle III with Liz Ames. This music is certainly a lot harder to sing than it is to listen to. Vocally it welcomes the presence of technical constraints. Spiritually it is rewarding, yet also draining.

As we were tearing apart the score we started to dig deeper into subtext. There is just so much to think about during all five of these chamber works. And though Britten did not intend for them to be performed in sequence, how can one not make connections between the five of them? Is there a bigger storyline than perceived or is there at least an underlying thematic connection?

Like Joe Dan Harper would have suggested, it is time to tear the words apart from the music and start drawing parallels.

This led me to Trader Joe's (I was hungry) and then after the Changing Hands Bookstore. I think for these, Bach works and my own self-enlightenment, it is time for my first Bible purchase. Most of the books in the store were all self-help and spirituality books related to the Bible, but no such luck otherwise. Tomorrow is always Sunday, of course.

We start BWV 248 rehearsals tomorrow night. Thursday early morning I leave for San Fran...

No comments:

Post a Comment