
Artist - The Rocket Summer
Album - Of Men and Angels
Total Tracks - 15
Notable Tracks - Roses, Hey!, Hills and Valleys
For Those Who Like: The Juliana Theory, Get Up Kids, Long Since Forgotten
Overall Rating - 6.5/10
Review -
Atypically typical.
With a band name like this what would one expect well-produced pop-punk-emo music with driving rhythm guitars and This is the kind of music that does not hit you to the core of your existence but it makes for fun driving music during, not ironically, the summer... or if you want to lose yourself in a sea of blitheness. Bryce Avery is the front man, err... the only man of the project. What is impressive about this record is that he, as a multi-instrumentalist, is featured on any music that's played- piano, drum set, vocal percussion and all. His playing is succinct yet accomplished. He is also solely responsible for producing his records; something that is not only noteworthy but also economically efficient! The variety and thickness of vocal layering is well balanced. Singing, typical, though a little less whingy than most of his contemporaries. The characteristics of this record are, well, typical to the genre... not very interesting harmonically or poetically; in the song "You Gotta Believe":
"Whatever the cost, whatever I lost
Whatever I gained, whatever I fought
I knew I was tested, and I am the furthest
From what you think it is worth it"
However there is a sense of honesty to the record that is attention getting. No surprise, considering it is an all-Avery affair.
This album took me back to the high school summer vacation days. "Walls" is formulaic perfection for high school dance slow songs. if Though not laden with emotional depth one can connect the reminiscent feelings that this album exudes. If you are into MTV background music, this is a good enough listen.
I saw this act open for Relient K years ago, didn't really care for their sound but that's probably because I was going through my phase where I only liked music I could break stuff to.
ReplyDeleteP.S. your twitter thing is still broken. ;)