Words cannot even express how grateful I am to have studied with David Britton. Recommended to me by Gerald in a dangerous time in my life, it was David who gave me hope for a better future and hope that I will continue artistic progress and unsinkable knowledge. They were right.
David Britton is an absolutely remarkable man. Passionate about his students, his music and his memories. He was a tough teacher when he needed to be, but always so positive and accepting of my hyperactive tendencies and capricious behaviours. I learned a lot of repertoire, learned how to sing Bach Evangelist recitatives (coaching nearly all of Christmas Oratorio and a huge chunk of Matthew Passion) and listened to inspiring stories of his career- which to me is sometimes more important than an hour of technique. I also hope that his perfervid approach to teaching and student support is something he passed on. He sees ANYTHING his students are in (even MeatFest!!) and is so caring about his students' well being. A solid listener and a brilliant mind. We will remain lifers, and hopefully will be a guru-type figure as years go on. I am indebted to Gerald for our meeting and cannot even express how wonderful my time with this fabulous teacher.
And his studio...303... some of the most talented and multi-faceted singers I've ever met. What a brilliant group of people. Our studio shows, particularly "Serious Fun" was some of the most mind-blowing performances ever witnessed in recital. The crew that is graduating with me today from his studio will ALL do really well. We made a pact that we'd conquer as a team...and this studio was like a family. We will look out for each other always, I hope. He was the reason I came, the reason I stayed, and the reason I'm moving on. Thanks, Coach.
I would never know about Tom Lehrer had it not been for that recital!
"Poor experience comes from poor judgment. Good judgment comes from experience."



No comments:
Post a Comment