01 July 2010

just haven't met you yet.

Jack Handy once astutely phrased, "women: can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em. That's probably why you can rent one for the evening."

Yesterday I played with Nick Fields on Syracuse's "Walk-Up Radio" programme. It was a great learning experience and it gives me hope that I can get my folk-rock chops up again. After giving it up for two years, I hope to be doing a considerable amount of this style in the Amherst-Boston area. I'm hopeful for the possibility of working with different musicians with bigger plans and more persistence than I have. I also am challenging myself with lyrical brevity. Something that may give my catchy hooks a little more accessibility in the verses. If it cannot be said in twenty words, it should not be said at all. I wish I'd played a little more confidently too...when you have tough looking bikers sitting in front of you while you squeeze your nuts to sing high notes...some sweet irony that just made me self-conscious I guess. But, in this kind of music, I need to accept that it won't be the opera crowd that comes to listen. That is what makes it fun.

The Walk-Up guys have a real funny show, though. And, being a listener of the programme for some time, it was really interesting to see it from the other side. I must admit, I am a radio enthusiast at heart and would almost prefer to listen to the show. I felt the same about "A Prairie Home Companion" back in January. Good time all the same though.

Today it's to the operetta grind. There are so many lines to learn...

Fighting the urge for the iPhone...no Eric, you cannot afford such things right now. Splurge on the puffy vest- summer is chilly in Upstate New York.

The Boilermaker is just over a week away.

Dancing singing kids at Centerstage await tonight. Today is a hot apple cider day, regardless of the calendar month.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment