Pay attention, pay attention.
Saturday night was a step back. I fall asleep writing songs. I can't start a song. I eat gelato but drive an hour to find it. I come back. Nearly fall asleep again. Get lost in a jug barbarossa. Breakfast pizza and apologies the next morning.
After the headache and self-wallowing Sunday afternoon was a step forward in the right direction. I am getting really anxious about Amherst now.
I thought about joining the Peace Corps. Strange? Duty calls?
Sunday's dinner at the Fish Creek Club and meeting a good size portion of Heather's family brought me back to Earth...so did a good size portion of pot roast. And blackberry pie.
Yesterday ended the court saga- $150 fine from the Rome City Court, but reduced to a broken speedometer with no points on the ole' license! God Save the Queen.
Went to the Stanley Theatre lobby afterwards to hear Lauralyn Kolb sing Schumann songs. She is adjunct faculty at Hamilton College and her husband was the conductor I assisted all summer. Notably she recorded one of the only comprehensive albums of John Duke's music (Rob taught at Smith for his first job and apparently was Duke's next door neighbour or something...Lauralyn was a guinea pig for most of Duke's manuscripted drafts). Lauralyn is a convincing lieder interpreter with great dramatic poise and purpose. "Kennst du das Land" is not easy to command and have sound expert.
The leaves on the trees are finally starting to turn. Autumn is pretty much here. Though it's been raining cats and dogs in Upstate New York. Perpetual showers since Saturday and the precipitation is still coming down, and should continue for the next three days.
Headed to Rochester to visit Molly and some fraternity brothers. Soul food madness ahoy (as one would say)...
Pay attention.
No comments:
Post a Comment