07 October 2010

slow update

Two weekends ago I ran my first half marathon in Salem, MA. I also shared brews and stayed with an up and coming baritone friend of mine in Somerville. That weekend I decided that what I'm doing in my life is absolutely right and that my voice is finally started to sort itself out.

My half time was 1:46:06. The course was beautiful...the first third running through historic Salem, mile 7's bridge crossing the Atlantic with the ocean on both sides, and the finish line with post-race cider donuts.

On the way back I also discovered a cider mill that will become my favourite little secret in Western Mass.

The next weekend I went to NY and spent the entire weekend embracing fall...pumpkins and a terrific pumpkin soup, leaves, Clinton Cider Mill, and...just everything. Life makes so much sense now.

And now I am back in Phoenix singing a run of performances with the Phoenix Symphony orchestra. Being back in the desert reminds me why I chose not to live here long term. I will say that I LOVE visiting. I'm singing with some of my favourite people from ASU and meeting some fantastic people. I paid too much for a rental car, but I'm driving around a PT Cruiser for the first time. It was gracious of my fellow Sinfonian Gordon Zaft to let me stay in his guest room for a week in Chandler.

Rehearsing with the Symphony and to work with Michael Christie is just a real privilege.

Sacks lunch today...I also should hit the gym and perhaps catch DB's studio class for old time's sake.

On the plane into Phoenix I met a 70+ year old woman who was traveling from Philadelphia to Florida. She called herself Dottie. She was a born again Christian after the death of her daughter (age 11) from some degenerative disease. Her first son was diagnosed with melanoma at age 18 but survived. Her husband recently died of heart failure two years ago.

Her dyed, fire truck red hair did not match the wrinkles of her face and her worn hands impulsively grasped at the Crucifix around her neck throughout the duration of the flight. She was a traveling partner for her husband until his death.

"Nice flowers, Dottie."

"My son just retired from the military. Put in almost thirty years after his graduation from the Citadel. He's proud and so am I. These flowers are from the retirement ceremony. Awfully nice men and women, they were, to provide me these flowers."

"Well, awfully nice of you to fly from Florida to come see his retirement."

"I've been all over. Europe many times, lived in DC for a while...my husband and I took an RV and drove nearly the entire border of US and Canada after staying in Alaska for two months. But you know what sometimes the mind works best when the body still keeps moving. Life is hard and I've seen my hardships. Just keep active and keep moving. Your eyes and excitement will take your mind off of any woes you may have."

This summer Dottie is planning for a two month vacation to Italy and Greece. Her husband worked in astronautics and so she is fortunate enough to afford these things.

I need to keep moving. I'll skip on the RV. A consistent travel partner may not be a bad idea, also.



Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Great time in your half. Nothing beats Fall in the North East. It's after that when we all want to become your best friend and request a visit to Phoenix.

    Good luck on your voice and your upcoming schedule.

    ReplyDelete