30 November 2010

marriage

So, my sister is getting married to one of my fraternity pledge brothers next autumn. This was a hot topic of conversation at the Thanksgiving table, aside from the curious quandaries of how to replicate the recipe of Aunt Cathy's brickle. I am terribly excited for her but desperately evading the self-reflective, 'why aren't I married yet' internal battle. The answer is simple: I cannot be married right now.

...but I tell you what...the brickle was pretty amazing...

In other news I went to see Sondheim's current revival of "A Little Night Music" several weeks ago after a 5k race in Connecticut. A rare occasion for the theatre is to see one great living artist performing a lionized score...but two? Bernadette Peters and Elaine Stritch were epic in their performances simply because of who they were and the conductor's thoughts they were reciting. Meanwhile the rest of the company was clearly cast not to upstage them. The should be nameless woman who played the role of Anne was clearly trying to imitate Peters and her classic character schitck. The visual...bland. The direction...uninspired. The singing? Abhorrent mostly. Henrik was good. Why is poor singing allowed in the theatre? And why was the director trying to make this a comedy? Give the audience some room to think, please. The innuendo is clearly written in Wheeler's libretto...no need to camp it for more yuck yuck. Yuck.

Singing with Hamilton College Oratorio Society tomorrow evening on a cancelled gig from another tenor. Naturally I'm feeling nauseous. Should I always feel sick the night before a major engagement? Would I feel this way as a conductor?

Either way, it's nice to be home. Draw the energy, draw the line, call a draw and draw a path to future success.

Did I mention my sister is getting married?

I am missing the NYC Christmas Tree lighting tomorrow. That is okay.

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. I was going to wax eloquent on marriage and its role in a musician's life, etc, but decided instead to just wish you well for tomorrow and the upcoming holiday bustle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you didnt like Anne either.
    I am bound and determined to play that role someday.

    Sad i missed you in NYC. I'll go see the tree for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristin- yes, let's have this discussion soon and thanks for the well wishes. You still overseas?

    Kari - I would cast you as my Anne in a heartbeat! Great role for you. You, Nick and I must catch up when I get back to NYC!

    ReplyDelete