Marius and Alina shared one last "good meal" - I may have already posted about this. I will never forget the venison and grits...and the Bible they provided me on my journeys. Yes, God will be watching my every move from now on. I hope He keeps me safe on my travels.
Three weeks from today I fly out to Melbourne.
This past semester has not been particularly healthy due to ultra late nights, odd teaching schedules and lack of sleep or routine. Quite detrimental to my marathon training. I forced myself to prepare for a half marathon in either the Berkshires or Buffalo... and I am so glad that I did. Running has instilled in me a discipline that, if I recall it, transfers to other areas in my life. I left Amherst at a decent weight but not in impeccable shape...but a couple long runs on the treadmill was enough evidence to allow for a registration.
And come Hell or high water I survived. A beautiful sunny day on Saturday was perfect weather to venture West to Buffalo for the Buffalo Runs Half Marathon. This trip on the 90 instantaneously floods my body with memories of college- as Fredonia rests directly on it. The drive through Syracuse and Rochester does not constitute as new territory for me but it is so refreshing every time I drive. This is likely due to the different recollections that resurface each time. Always different. Or even if they are the same they bear different meaning as each new year passes and different perspective is gained. Horrifying things then are hilarious now, and what we considered "epic" in college now looks foolish and immature. Either way, it's college. And how lucky were any of us to go through it? Intellectual, personal and social growth, for better or for worse, is always something to be humbled by and thankful for.
And, people come and go from your life. The ones that matter are the ones that come back to stay as if they never really left.
The drive over Route 5 from Hamburg into Buffalo is just striking almost any time of the year. My friend and fellow singer Ray and I used to drive together to a church job in Buffalo weekly. Either in the frozen tundra state, a gloomy, cloud-covered day, or a sunshiny splendour...Lake Erie has a great vastness to it that impresses despite its surrounding atmosphere. It might have to do with the bridge that takes you to it...one minute you're flatly traveling and the next you are on a ramp that takes you right into the lake. It's bizarre, because as explained to me this weekend, it is an unnecessary overpass. Buffalonians (?) should be grateful for the view though assuredly they take it for granted. The whole "don't know what you got 'til it's gone" idea. Every city has its pollution, crime, dirt, poor public transit and homeless population. Every city also has its gems if one is observant. Keep your eyes open. Look around. Do not let it pass you by for one second.
Lake Erie shimmers even if there is no ray.
I also rekindled an old friendship this weekend. A phone call, a random trip to the US Falls (and getting lost in the ghettos), dinner on Lake Erie (though it took a couple tries), an evening of reminiscing over the days of yore and her presence at the race confirmed that nothing in life is definite; neither conclusive or perpetual or expected. And everything that you do not expect, expect. Everything you expect, do not expect. People come in and out of your life. As our globe is increasingly smaller the chances of reconnection via cross-migration is all too likely. The ones that count will make it count. The ones who won't, won't. That is the beauty of friendship. It just takes a little...time. And positive energy. For once...positive energy.
And the further I go away from college the more my friendships with people are true and vital...and not just 'college friends' or 'convenience friends.'
'We get along as two aduts' is more sincere to me than 'We are in a class together.' Relieved that stage of my life is complete...for the mean time.
Funny how life works, huh?
Back to the races...pfft...but in all seriousness it was a fun time! Tough around mile eleven...mile six-eight loop around Lake Erie in downtown Buffalo. Tricky hills around nine and eleven...definitely walked for about a minute of the race, to my disappointment. I felt great but pushed too fast too soon. Either way I finished 25/200 for my age division and 213/<2,600 at a chip time of 1:43:58...a couple minutes faster than the "Wicked" Half back in October! For being a little up weight and under trained I can be satisfied but not complete. Tomorrow I will be newly persistent about dropping this last semester's slight weight gain and improving my time for the next half to <1:40:00. Lofty goal, but it can happen, I am sure.
Once that is complete then training for a full marathon can begin! I never back down from a new challenge. I fear very little in my life anymore.
#BeatObesity - never look back.
Sore but that did not stop me from seeing Molly, Joe, Don, and Ed on the way home. I never go through Rochester and not see them! Today was Memorial Day and spent the time reflecting with my family, in particular Great Uncle who served in Korea and Vietnam. Thank you for your service, Uncle Bill. [His description/perception of Kimchi was dead on].
That race will happen in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on 17 July 2011. WHAT?
So much music to learn before Thursday but so ecstatic that I will be in such a climate. Toronto is an amazing city and to return for educational/musical reasons will be, again, a new perspective. Much different than my last several excursions in that city, for sure!
Any way... thank you to my friends for keeping me honest, humble, and humourous.
Thanks so much for being there for me this weekend.
No comments:
Post a Comment