06 June 2011

cloud

Masterclasses and rehearsals made up yesterday. I am confident to say that I love being in choirs- especially when they consist of really great readers and listeners. So far the choral rehearsals and the lectures have been the best part of being in this programme. And being in Toronto, of course.

Time is flying by before my eyes. Two more rehearsals today will complete day four of fourteen. Only a week and a half left already? But we just started! Everything here moves at an expedited rate, which I really like. Goes up, it's gone, you've learned. Bing bang boom.

Looking back in January made me wistful so after rehearsal and a brief nap I took a four hour walk around Toronto. I walked past the hostel where I decided that going global in 2011 was imperative. I went into Chinatown and had not-so-delicious dumplings (service was not too great either but the Kimchi wasn't so bad). In Queen's Park yesterday was a drumming festival highlighting different styles of percussion ensembles globally. Though it rained, it did not last long, and by night it was cloudless. Toronto certainly loves a Saturday night.

The Quebec girls made fun of my French as I practised for the recitative class that will happen tomorrow. Today I listened to lectures on straight-tone singing and quarter-comma mean tone tuning for harpsichords... really looking forward to singing Gesualdo later on.

Today's treat was from a grocery about a quarter mile from the Uni - milk chocolate and Canadian maple filling. Yum. I'm glad walking all these miles allows me to eat whatever the Hell I want.

Spent too much time walking and less time sleeping last night. I will amend that for tomorrow's long day.




Mother's Dumplings

421 Spadina Ave
Toronto, ON M5T 2A8
Neighbourhoods: Chinatown, Downtown Core, Kensington Market
(416) 217-2008 Not recommended- service was very slow and preference given to certain customers (my meal came half hour later than customers who sat ten minutes after I did). Kimchi was premade but tasted fine but the pork and chive steamed dumplings were too sticky and over-salted. They offer Wi-Fi but are not allowed to give out the password. Ambience fine but lacked authenticity given the region. Though recommended by Yelp!, there are more satisfying places to eat in Toronto's Finah Chinatown. [Rarely do I give bad review to restaurants so I must have been particularly annoyed]


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment