London. She assertively stepped off the train in Syracuse like she owned and carried the orange city in her tightly clenched purse. Yet she darted in and out, around the station all sorts of confused and flustered. There was something about her that did not make a lot of sense. Was she lost? Was she dropped off in the right city? If Syracuse was not the purse, were gravity and disorientation responsible for her pull toward every angle?
Like I, she found the convenience store inside the station and kindly asked for a bag of chips. I was in the market for a cola and cashews.
People shuffle and wind scuffle.
We sat together on the bus after a long wait at the border patrol, which after the typical five minutes of, 'should we say something?' up came conversation about what I was reading: Nick Hornby's "Song Book" - on recommendation by Jen. Unmistakable British accent. I was a little startled because at first I thought she was American. Of course, it takes an American to make such an assumption that everyone who looks 'white' must be American. She also acknowledged my Bach score, as I studied prior in the voyage. Impressed, we carried on about food blogs, good ale and Flight of the Conchords.
We said goodbye whilst lighting matches and waiting for taxis.
This reminds me of the last time I visited Toronto. Anyone who comes to Toronto or lives in Toronto knows nicety is a prerequisite and a purpose. I spent the last six months of this year wondering if positivity and conviviality are dead around me and in me. This conversation with London contradicted the previous concern. It also reminded me how wonderful the vibe in Toronto is. So much zip. Smiles. People say hello. And good luck. Even when they have no luck to give they ask for you to have it anyway. And are sincere about it. I do not believe it takes luck in this city but it just takes heart.
Alas, good luck with that food blog, London- I'll be reading with hungry eyes and happy heart. Foux Da Fa Fa.
Speaking of French, I am staying with three Quebec City residents here to find the guy who directed Twilight movies and sit on his set. Some of these folks drove ten hours. I learned that cigarettes are not sold in any creative packaging, but wrapped in fear.
GROSS.
I also learned differences in French dialects and Canadian French split hairs and swear words. Also "You have the most angelic smile." Smooth talkers, these ones!
Tomorrow is a morning off. Hopefully the Extreme Fitness will let me work out in their facility over the next two weeks!
Nice to chat with you tonight even just for a little bit.
Mullets!



No comments:
Post a Comment