Thursday night I had a repeat performance. A mild case November 2010 happened all over again. This time, I can finally let this one to rest. My body revolted against something that wasn't good for me in a way that it knew how. Apparently it worked. And I will be better for it.
Stick to the plan.
On Friday night I decided it was best to get to know the community. I met an Oxford native baker who introduced me to "having a cup of tea" and contacts for possible musical connections in Ballarat. He apparently sang in a community chorus in town and the "fierce" alto was a choir director I should know. I shared a beer with an Australian war-vet Hell bent against modern technology and still pissed that us "Yanks" tell the best army in the world what to do. I had a coffee with a couple in psychology interested in music therapy. The gentleman of the couple shared a similar last name in my family lineage so that automatically brought on enlightening conversation. (Apparently there are some McDermotts in Ireland that dropped Mc after they stepped foot on Ellis Island to avoid any cultural discrimination. I never met a Dermott but apparently they exist). They were a cute couple. Feisty. Equal.
I met a group of nursing students at the George Hotel, also where I met a middle-aged couple who were kicked out by aggressive lounge security for over indulgence. Australia is a drinking culture, sure, but Ballarat is cracking down. Hardcore. No monkey business. It's good- this town probably needs it.
I met a chicken schnitzel sandwich and ever tightening jeans. I need this foot healed, quickly.
The AM I woke early and took a trip around the town lake and the Botanical Gardens. Ballarat has been blessed with beautiful weather as of late. My observations from Ballarat Twitter culture were gloomy in regards to the weather. Everyone wrote about how rainy it was. Other than today the meteorological Gods have been kind and provided population with plenteous rays. [alliteration for emphasis 2012]. I've already been over saturated with the downtown culture in Ballarat. I am convinced this town is made up of Houdinis and repugnant, disrespectful youth. McDonald's on Bakery Hill (the only place I can score free WiFi and not have to pay five dollars for a coffee) is the local ragamuffin hangout. Never have I seen such destructive, disobedient behaviour. Then again, I am not in an environment with teenagers very often. Is this how they are now? Am I getting old and being all 'gramps' about it? Today one of these little punks threw a tray of food on the floor and walked out. An employee came to clean up the little bastard's mess five minutes later, only to be taunted by another group of teens jumping up and down on the tables and booths.
Kids these days.
Yesterday also felt so right because the same mall held a monthly farmer's market. This might be okay!
My sinus infection took a hard turn last night so a round of pumpkin soup and Indian curry was clearly the remedy.
After church today I came to McDonald's, worked on a couple projects and caught up with some friends back home. I've been listening to a lot of Michael Feldman and it affirms my infatuation with the American Midwest.
I swear I will have pictures up as soon as my internet connection will allow the upload. For now it's back to bed with a can of chicken soup, a newspaper and more American radio programmes.
No comments:
Post a Comment