28 May 2010

catch up

Typically when I leave an area for an extended amount of time I become overly sentimental. The sap pours from me like a dripping maple in the winter time.

My exit from Tempe was surprisingly tranquil and without and resentment or anger. Taking into consideration everything I experienced- both positive and negative- the people who were good to me were really good to me. My knowledge of art and my personal boundaries were lengthened. Despite my palpable discontent for certain situations, and at times certain people, I will always be thankful for the experience that I had. It was unique; palm trees, extreme heat, and singing concerts nearly every weekend. The work was bountiful and the people that influenced me were more influential than they may even recognize.

I spent the remainder of my time in Arizona singing with the Phoenix Symphony Chorus- a largely volunteer troupe with big hearts and high musical standards. My vocal folds struggled a bit, pitifully testing their resilience through bouts of Nabucco and Lohengrin. Well worth it though. I made some fun music, traveled to Prescott, did a little networking and had a blast meeting new people, some of who may be life long friends. Making music with people you like- the best way to complete your stay in a city.

I also sold tons of my stuff. Craig's List suited me well!

Lyn and I found "Bobby Q's" in North Phoenix two days before departure. The conclusion was good. The resolution was good. When everyone is happy, everyone can be happy. The BBQ also kicked ass.

It means it is really time to take the next step. I kept chanting to myself, "I'm really doing this, I'm really doing this." I am no stranger to long road trips, nor am I unfamiliar with random relocation. I hope that in Amherst I am not resigned to sleeping on a sleeping bag in the middle of the floor in an empty apartment.

Everyone tells me how fortunate I am to be living in Amherst. I could not agree more.

This road trip I am on already has a great deal of adventure. A 4:30 AM departure allowed me too Tucson for a 7:00 AM coffee date with Michael Dauphanais, the pianist for the Janacek sing in April. I hit the road hard and stayed with Alan LeFever in Midland on the first night. The second day was filled with bluegrass music and long drives. I stopped in River Oaks and reconnected with my Uncle Bud, a gentle man with a big heart and in a very reminiscent time in his life, at 80 years old. He is also a pack rat now I am in a hostel in Irving with a man named Carlos, an age-defying Baby Boomer with thick, dyed black hair and a keen interest for women and sexual voyeurism. Our first conversation was about this overly sunburned French girl who he insisted on stripping down naked and rubbing oil all over.

"Keep drinking this water I told her. She kept drinking until she could not drink anymore. I took real good care of her- and her skin sucked up all the oil, and I told her 'do it again!'. Her skin sucked in the second coat and I told her 'do it again!' Eventually her skin was all oily and eventually she turned a nice golden bronze. So young and so naive to not know about the sun!"

Odd. Luckily I avoided Carlos' tender loving care. Though I did notice a peep hole was drilled in the door handle of one of the showers...

I did meet a South Korean girl named...um...Jinah! That's it. We searched for BBQ and could not find it- everything was closed in Dallas. This city I missed mostly because I came late. However it seems like its a vibrant night life and, seemingly clean. Public transportation also appears ample. Gasoline is cheap here too. A nice benefit for stopping. She was not terribly exciting company but it was nice not to have to travel Dallas alone.

I fell asleep on the phone last night. I'm a little embarrassed about that.

The hostel resides in the Heritage District of Irving. Restful and without complication. It is soothing to see green and to experience humidity, though I am not sure for how long I will bask in it.

Today I head out for Baton Rouge, Louisiana for the weekend. It's a nervous-system hitting trip. Stories of New Orleans terrify me and I'm meeting pen pals for the first time.

Carlos is still talking about the girls. Always the girls. He must feel really popular. Song material right here. I'm getting out of here before Carlos convinces me to stay.



Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. This same happen with me when I live in one place for long time. But also feel little embarrassed with the situation.

    ReplyDelete