Instead I was attacked by rabid black cat and a swarm of bees. Clearly it was not meant to be. But I hastily snapped a blurry photo as I was sprinting from a bunch of pissed-off wasps.
I also made a brief stop in Savannah, Georgia for a couple hours. Ray suggested I try out the Paula Dean restaurant but I was looking for something a little more authentic. Gerald recommended this one soul food joint two miles away from the historic area (rustic and chock full of old, colonial-age buildings as well as tourist trap areas). The restaurant was out of pretty much everything, but luckily next door there was a non-operating auto-mechanic shop with a couple oil drum grills and a bunch of locals grilling and washing cars. Naturally, this seemed like a perfect stop. This was a delicious rack of ribs using a midland South Carolina mustard based BBQ sauce. I was lucky enough to also use some sourdough bread to soak up the leftover sauce. So delicious and absolutely worth every penny...and driving through Savannah's finest ghettos.

And thus here I am- on day three or four (I lost count) in Folly Beach, South Carolina. Amanda Beth's beach house sits right on the Atlantic Ocean and now I can officially declare my return to the East Coast- literally. I am peering on it as I write. The goal was to enjoy some sun and write some songs for an upcoming self-recorded EP I would like to finish this summer. The music writing...not so much yet. But I've had a splendid time with Amanda thus far. She's been a delightful host and is introducing me to Charleston- the fine dining, the culture, the fashion...the food... great company. Between boiled peanuts, Kickin' Chicken and all the nutty type candy the city has to offer I'm about to pop! We have been taking things easy at the house though - drinking wine and grilling steaks the first evening and listening to the tide come in.
This was the first time in nearly a decade plus I've seen the Atlantic. The last time I was in Boston for a whale watch and though we were on a ship I was not as close-up and intimate to the ocean as I am now. This past January I was in San Francisco (when I started this blogging bit, actually) and was fortunate to experience the Pacific Ocean with the Norwegian woman I no longer speak to. America- from sea to shining sea as it's commonly sung- was something I finally explored in its depths. What increasingly resonates to my core as I am taking in all that this country has to offer is how true things are. Truth. Something one is expected to seek on a daily basis. What we New Yorkers read in magazines, books...media...the stereotypes, the archetypal facets of each state's culture and mentality. It is all presenting itself. History is not dead- particularly in the South it seems as if it is very alive, right down the bow ties and the sear sucker pants.
Last night Amanda's folks were very generous and offered the two of us a night of fine dining and an opera at Spoleto. We dined at a restaurant called "High Cotton". Mahi Mahi with a black bean succotash, tomato and melon gazpacho and a glass of Glenfiddich 15. Indescribably delicious. Following we took in "Flora" - a resurrected colonial musical play reminiscent of the Sweeney Todd "Johanna/Anthony" story but humourous. Highly entertaining and the music was wonderfully recreated.
Charleston is just...exquisite. The cobble-stoned streets, the steel framework and iron designing, the 18th century lamp posts...simply majestic. I would live here if there were work for me here, easily.
And gasoline is only $2.55 a gallon in most places!
This morning we joined her family for church and lunch at the country club where her father is a member. Splendid conversation. Her father and I seem to have similar mannerisms though our work is a bit different from each other's. However music can have medicinal purposes, right?
I am healing from a day at the beach yesterday. My body is sorely sunburned. It seems to matter little as I will be running and oceaning later on this afternoon when it cools off a bit (the outside temperature, and my body.)
In the words of the Bethel Church Pastor, "Wisdom is neither a state of mind nor a destination. Yet wisdom is the food that you bring with you on the journey." Wherever this journey takes me in the next few days I am finding this to be more true with each reflective look on the last two weeks.
No comments:
Post a Comment