18 August 2010

AR-VIII




Artist: Sun Kil Moon
Album: Admiral Fell Promises
Total Tracks: 10
Release Date: 13 July 2010
Total Length: 1:00:43
Notable Tracks: All of Them. The Leaning Tree and Sam Wong Hotel stick out of the cycle.
For Those Who Like: James Taylor meets John Wozniak meets any school of music guitar department
Overall Rating: 4.8/5 Pears

This is the kind of album that makes me never want to touch another instrument ever again because what is the point?

Mark Kozelek strings a seamless cycle of songs together in a most pleasant, thought-provoking and harmonically rich album in this solo-album featuring his unison multi-layered vocals and open picked nylon acoustic guitar. It is too difficult not to picture yourself walking down a dirt road, chill of autumn in the air and the leaves falling to the ground. I want to just ... hold someone while listening to this. Romantic. Rhythmically hypnotic. Chilling. Empty. Beautiful. Scorching. Wonderful.

The new songs of travel.

Lyrics from the title track:

Come out from the burning fire butterfly
Let me lock you in my room and keep you
For a while
Could you be the answer to my every prayer?
Could you be the one for who I care?

Come into my arms and let your worries die
Come out from the web of all your tangles lies
But be true to me and I’ll be true to you
Judge me not for what I’ve done but what I’ll do

A million nights have led
To this one that we are spending
And I know it’s better here
Than anywhere I’ve been going
With every morning grew
A void more wide and endless

Come out from the burning fire butterfly
Let me lock you in my room and keep you
For a while
You watch over me and I’ll watch over you
And if you go tomorrow choke me ‘till I’m blue

A thousand days have passed
In this house she and I were sharing
And I hate myself for it
But I have stopped caring
The Marilyn sky tonight
Is so black and blue and beautiful


This is the best album of its kind since Ryanhood's self-titled debut. Highly recommended if you're looking to lose yourself.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment