16 August 2010

lessons

Stormy weather...

Well, the three week theatre whirlwind finally commenced with last night's final run of "The Sorcerer." In its last performance, I must admit I was...well, sloppy to say the least. Unfocused, overtired and under energized. Nevertheless it was a lesson that I needed to be taught- never underestimate your own mind and memory and muscles; it's like a party at the Playboy mansion- the minute you check out, it's almost impossible to check back in.

And for those who may see me as arrogant and self-righteous, enjoy this post. We all make mistakes.

But this summer was a great lesson on concentration. And patience. And dedication. And preparation. Traits that all good performers must have in order to succeed. It also takes a great deal of perspective in order for good performers not to crack up after a less-than-your-best performance.

My perspective: the audience didn't seem to notice. And most of my colleagues were not so quick to judgment. And the little vocal performance conscience in my head (Gerald) was screaming to me last night, "No one gives a damn what you think. It's not your place to tell the audience how they should feel."

So, four shows in nearly a month time. All things considered, this was a great summer of music making.

Overall the weekend proved to be eventful aside from the production! I'm still waiting on my race time from Saturday but from what I could catch from the clock, I am looking at a 4-mile time of 28:44:00 approx. My parents were gracious enough to provide a lite meal after the show on Saturday night for Heather and last night I was introduced to the 1952 classic, "Scaramouche." No, nobody involved did the Fandango.

Up next: the new music 'festival' in February, a major songwriting project I cannot wait to announce and Massachusetts bound in two weeks!

Oh what fun, I can't wait 'til the future gets here.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment