09 August 2010

sprint

My next race is in six days- the Ruth Allen Memorial Run/Walk in Deansboro, NY. The path will take me through the historical Deansboro, Route 315 and the beautiful woody hills.

From the website:

The first annual Ruth Allen Memorial Run and Fun Walk will be held Saturday, August 14, 2010 in Deansboro, NY. The Run and Walk is named in memory of Ruth Allen, who for many years spearheaded the run and fun walk, which began in 1995 in conjunction with the Marshall Days in Deansboro, and which was discontinued a few years ago. The proceeds of this event are targeted for a scholarship in her name, tentatively named the Ruth Allen Citizenship Award.

The race director is Charlie Fisher who, in his own right, is a runner of some distinction. The run will begin at 9:00 a.m, and will go on for four miles, beginning at the Trail Head near the Depot on Route 315, continuing down Rt. 315 until Burnham Road, and ending on the picturesque Marshall Towpath (former rail bed).

T-shirts will be offered to the first 100 participants, and there will be a raffle featuring prizes to runners and walkers alike, as well as trophies presented to the overall male and female run finisher and medals to the top runners in each category: under 13; 14-18; 19-29; 30-39; 40-49; 50-50; 60+. Walkers will receive prizes for the best dressed walker, oldest and youngest walker, walker with the funniest hat, and walker who traveled the farthest to participate. Everyone receives a finisher’s award.


This weekend was such a whirlwind. Saturday was, indeed, a day that will be remembered. My morning started with great laughter. I met with my fraternity brothers "Eric" and "Slate" at a diner in North Brookfield inside an old fashioned general store. I did not have the foresight to take a photo of it, but the building itself looked like an inn right out of Pettycoat Junction. When you graduate from college and there are still people waiting to graduate themselves it is easy to get lost in the series of events that happen after you leave. The wonderful thing about Sinfonia, and assuredly with any well-nurtured friendships, is how those stories can easily be retold without any time being lost. Time may go on and social standings may be slightly altered but sacred bonds will always remain intact.

After coffee (and the delivery of a leftover tomato pie from MTW's final reception) I headed to Rome to visit Heather and to run along the 'old' Erie Canal- that is, the Canal that is now an elongated marsh. For a snack, we made my famous guacamole and baked Sally Lunn buns
, a biscuit referenced in this Gilbert & Sullivan operetta we are in together. You will learn how to make these delicious buns on an episode of a YouTube series that she created. The episode is currently in editing but when it's done I'll be sure to post it. Pretty ridiculous.

I was pulled over and ticketed for going 44 in a 30 in Rome, whilst en route to pick up peppers for the guacamole. In my defense, there were no signs and cars were going faster than I was driving! In the true Chicago spirit, maybe I should hire Billy Flynn to get me out of this ticket...probably should not tell the DA or judge that we "both reached for the gun" ...

Saturday night was the final night for keyboard playing in the show, actually. What a learning experience. Perfect? Nope. I certainly improved my keyboard skills through this and "Hairspray" but I definitely need more work! And the ratchet set that wouldn't turn! Gah (sorry Cassandra). But the cast performed really well and I met some wonderful young musicians in the pit orchestra.

We ALL are still learning...no matter what age or life position we're in.

Yesterday Heather and I returned to the coffee shop we visited last Sunday. It was for sale, and I wish I could say, "just kidding." We settled for the Carousel Mall instead (and chocolate rum gelato). Ahmin from Tempe's Jamie's Pizza used to complain that he couldn't make gelato with alcohol in it because it wouldn't freeze. When I posed this quandary to the gelatarista (?) she explained that a special deep freezing machine was required and that it would cost too much money for most companies. Sorry Ahmin, you might have to fork over the "dough" first.

One of several reasons that I'm anxious for my brief return to Phoenix in the autumn.

Rental cars are not inexpensive, might I add.

Yes, this summer has been like traffic on Gennessee St. Slow, fast, slow, fast...but as my father mentioned yesterday, "I've not seen you more productive, more focused and more cheerful in a very long time."

What a difference a year makes.

Album reviews coming this week...

Molly and Joe move home soon!

Gilbert and Sullivan this weekend.

Amherst in Three.

I've been six times.

Lots in my head right now.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment