We finally arrived at the hotel; an oddly placed Comfort Inn in Ozone Park. It makes sense that the hotel is there with its close proximity to the airports and major highways. Still, this part of Queens looks like Bleeker Street in Utica. And then there is a major hotel off of a one-way side road. Construction prevents parking lot access and the man at the front desk was a bit condescending in his explanation about it. My patience grew thin. But Dad and I lifted our spirits with a delicious meal at Aldo's II- a pizza establishment across the street. Real Italian-Americans worked behind the counter with 'the ole' man' at the oven. We were in New York, alright. And, again, it was quite appropriate given the reason I was in. Traveling to Australia means I will easily deprive myself of good, New York pizza until my return in ____ (October for my sister's wedding but a trip downstate is improbable). Pizza in Australia? That is like asking for Chinese food in America, I'd guess. Likely ignorant, but it's a guess.
The rest of the evening was very relaxing. A little social networking, some business e-mails...but mostly stories with my parents about the move, our respective childhoods, retro American commercials...the usual. That is a good way to go out, too. Usual. Nothing hurried or sporadic. Nothing convoluted. Just...talking. I have so much love and respect for my parents who were so supportive of my adventures. And have so much love and respect for me even when I acted unfavourably toward myself, my career and with other people. We all go through rough patches. They think this move is going to bring many possibilities and excellent stories. And even more personal and spiritual growth.
My father was very brave to drive me to New York. My mother is very brave to watch me leave the country for a while. Those two can basically do anything. They both can.
I am also burying many a hatchet and bad memories with many people over the course of the last week. What I discover is that with more personal connection and less of a merely representable presence (i.e. the internet) resentment and hostility dissipates at a faster rate. No one in a war can kill their enemy if they chat with them on the battle field before the first gun is shot. Or, let's say, it is much easier to kill the person if no eye contact is made.
Put the phone down, put the weapons down.
And just love. Everything. No matter what.
EPDS was revitalized last night thanks to thesixtyone.com. I like three seconds of fame no matter where it comes from. Homeless people can even get a rise out of me.
Feeling sluggish after Aldo's II (obviously curious where I is and how that might provide a different culinary experience, if any) I ran four miles at the gym before getting a move on with the day. I will arrive at the airport at 12:00, survive the customs game and wait excruciatingly for flight #1 out of LA.
And I will/must say thank you to so many people who have been so reassuring; so curious about me as an artist, business and person (person last?). There are some specifics, but I'll get to that. But there are so many friends and family members wishing me well on this next chapter; a chapter I new I'd write in 2011. I do this for you as well as for me. If you are reading this blog post right now, I am doing this for you, mostly, as well as for me. I can only attest to the fact that music is a unifying and defying force in our lives that, if respected and trusted in, will take us amazing places with amazing people. As far as the opposite hemisphere and as close as the bathroom with a tape recorder. It doesn't matter where or who. The best in music DOES uplift the human condition, and much like exercise, will promote a healthier, more balanced physical and mental perspective. That is what made Tafelmusik so incredible, as it an archetypal example of that. Everyone has those moments from the concert hall to the morning shower. Take them, no matter what or where. Be inspired and inspire. Dream. Do it.
Thus ends the graduation speech portion. But seriously, thank you.
More to come today...
No comments:
Post a Comment