21 September 2011

Routine

This seems to work out with Safari okay, so maybe I should stick to that.

I broke down and bought a new digital camera last weekend because I felt a little lazy about documenting this crazy excursion here in Australia. It seems abundantly clear now what a mistake it has been not taking as many pictures as I should be. This is a beautiful country with such broad, ranging environment and landscapes. Perhaps the cheap, used car is next...a job is a job, but weekends should be weekends. I am getting a big lethargic and lazy. Now that my foot is better I really need to be persistent and consistent about my running routine. It is exceedingly difficult to keep physical exercise when you're in a job like this (which explains so much). Up super early, up super late. Only an hour of interval before the next bit...so tough to find balance. But, the art will carry on and carry through...so much more to explore. In music and in scenery.

Last week was devoted to Oklahoma. Those students delivered a fine product...and personally it was good to take a crack at a little bit of overall musicianship as well. If one is a singer one is expected to sing really well, but that does not take into account all of the other musical elements they should possess, nor is it ever challenged. My fingers at the keys have been my biggest obstacle since moving to Australia - and for better or for worse I am working harder at that than anything else, perhaps. Kids- take piano lessons early. It will serve you so well in the long run.

And the hard work is paying off. Last night I was invited to Melbourne to conduct a choral rehearsal for "Choristry" - a highly skilled amateur based ensemble, regularly directed by one of Australia's most prominent up-and-coming conductors. Trevor was nice enough to invite me in, as he is working on a different project across the continent. Invigorating beyond belief...it was like the city of Boston boarded the first flight from Logan itself and came to greet me in South Yarra. The passions, the scrabbling, the hand-shaking...the music. Bach and Thompson. Kindred and shared energy. I cannot help my zealousness for choral music. There is nothing that binds people together more than singing in harmony with their fellow mates. Singing beyond yourself and with others has been a sacred and secular tradition for centuries and those with a fervency to do it are so intoxicating to be around. And to in a city as quaint for its size as Melbourne, even for a matter of hours, is enough to abandon everything I ever thought was rational and to challenge every career imposition I have always boxed myself into. So what if I am poor? I am living in one of the most desired cities in the world. And actually in it. Not just a taste but the entire feast. Just like Amherst was to Boston. The hustle. Urgency. Animation.

But...Ballarat is doing just fine as well!

I just need to find ways to keep mobile. Keep moving.

Tonight I was appointed as music director/conductor for the 2012 Ballarat Light Opera Company's Production of Oklahoma. May 2012 in the major venue in town. Just keep moving.

In one week I'm on a plane back to the States. Just keep moving.

This morning in Melbourne I devoured a meal of prosciutto and truffle sauce in a lovely cafe near Trevor's abode. I am about finished with the rough sketches of Molly's wedding song, and while I am not as confident about my lyric writing as I used to, nobody will be able to blame me for being honest. I have sixteen hours in a plane to get it right. Starbucks and a thirty-five dollar order of candy corn rounded off my trip to the city. Left me aching for home a bit. I do miss my family and friends back in the States- though I have so many different family and friends scattered about that country I have no idea where I would live as to not miss them. I recon I will stay in Australia for a while.

Classes are going swell but leave me quite sleepy by the next midday. Chris and I still have nice chats about the South when I go in for a cup of coffee.

Yum.


Three Bags Full Cafe
 Nicholson and Molliston
Abbotsford, VIC Aus
This poached egg, proscuitto, parm and truffle sauce openface was the best way to start a day. 
The espresso was served a bit under-hot, but the taste was divine. Round, thick, wood, earth and a hint of chocolate notes
Fabulous. Just fabulous.


Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment