--> Friends share dinner. Best of friends share free samples. I have no closer friend in Amherst than Marius. He is an inspiring gentleman, calm, heartfelt. A believer of great music and great things. On his recommendation I am currently reading Leinsdorf's Composer's Advocate book. Insightful and snarky. I feel like a less-competent musician because of his writings. "The beauty of seeking perfection is the realization that one will never achieve it." Thea always was right. After I wallowed in self-deprecation Marius and I hit the road. Hyun and I watched game shows with him and Alina the night after the three of us went bowling. Marius's wife destroyed the both of us. We shared great laughs...and horrible chicken nachos [still delicious].
--> a major snow storm hit Amherst on Wednesday-Thursday burying my car and decimating any chance of me getting around. I combated the elements and then rested...indulging in six Woody Allen films. Manhattan and his latest, You Will Meet a Tall, Dark, Stranger were amongst the winners. A can of pork and beans and a can of sardines were heavy handed competitors.
--> a bizarre assignation in Worcester involving an ex-fiance automotive accidents and a massive money loss caused me to flee to Mission Hill to crash at Hailey's apartment on Friday night. Thank God for good friendship. It was not all-for-naught, however, as I tasted smoked bone marrow with a lime/cilantro paste at Arms by Abbey. Unique.
--> I met up with Sue-Mun , the spunky Kiwi I met in Toronto over New Year's in Boston yesterday! She was joined with her new hostel mate Andreas from Munich. We gallivanted around the city, saw the typical fare (Newbury St., the aquarium, Sail Loft chahdah), joined my other new friend Anne Marie at a Starbucks, and caught a play [thanks to my dear friend] entitled "Ruined" at the Huntington. "Ruined" is a two-act play by Lynn Nottage about a whore-house in war torn congo and one woman's determination to keep the doors open while warlords and rebels seek to close in on domination. Everything about this production was flawless. Praise is hard to come by with me but I was absolutely enthralled by the stories, set, characters, dramatic tension and release, Afro-Cuban influenced music and historical and cultural significance. More on 'coltan' later. It has been a while since I've been moved by theatre and "Ruined" lived up to every positive review it has received. If you are from the Boston and have not seen it yet - you must. Not only is it powerful theatre but it is an alarming wake-up call to American citizens about the devastation and the colossal number of daily human rights violations in sub-Saharan Africa. [Rob- if you are reading this blog and do not know of this work, which I'm sure you already do, check it out.]
Hailey ran into us and tried to get us into this restaurant/bar on top of the Prudential building to show our international entourage the city from above. Our wallets disagreed. We accepted American fare at Joe's on Newbury Sue-Mun was introduced to Sam Adams and we broke bread. Fascinating conversation with Anne Marie- another German, Chinese borne. She's on an internship in Boston and will be here until March. Hopefully we will become great friends also.
And Dani, also from Munich...I have made terrific friends from all over the globe in 2011...and it has only been fifteen days. 2011- the year to go global.
Church service in Belview and back to Amherst to prepare for my interview tomorrow and classes on Tuesday. Back to work, and feeling great. As soon as I can start running again (I mistakenly left my running shoes back in New York) I will be feeling even better. Vaccinated, on way for big medical improvements and putting things on the shelf for a while. Eating organic again, but still sneaking a 7-11 roll-up now and again [Jayson Keeton]. Also putting myself back into Sinfonian faith and ideals and thinking about my spirituality with each decision I make. At twenty-five, it is only best to trust your heart and to trust music. "Work for..." etc.
Oh yes. Marius and I are planning a trip to England for spring break. I'm purchasing flight this week or next. 2011- the year of going global. I was not kidding about that.
The greatest thing about change is demonstration of the possibility to change.
No comments:
Post a Comment