The sun is shining bright in Washington Heights as I scribble lyrics on a New Zealand based notepad and daydream about the upcoming nuptials. Commissions are like writing speeches without being as long winded. And as I've not worked on "commission" before, trying to find the right thing to say, while keeping it something I would say, without going too far and ruining cherished moments...this is far more difficult than I expected. Two songs will be meshed together, one old that I've scrapped verses, kept the chorus and redesigned some progressions. One brand new piece with a tag line I came up with the first day I moved to Ballarat. I put songwriting away for a while because I felt like I was only coming up with the same catch, perpetually saying the same things in different ways. All the songs became odes of apologies rather than stories. And as of the first of October I will likely reduce the output of "I'm sorries."
Last night was a Saturday, back in New York City (staying in Joe's apartment for the evening on the Upper West...walking into that place made me feel like the crazy Beggar Woman at the end of Sweeney Todd before her throat was slashed. Spoiler alert for those who live under a rock and haven't seen it yet). Instead of doing "New York" like the two prior days, I fancied to walk along Riverside Park, sip a diet ginger ale and return to my guitar after a long hiatus. All of a sudden it was like I was eighteen years old again. New ideas, new concepts. And no damned apology songs.
I made a promise to myself that 2011 would bring about massive changes: going global, running more half-marathons, etc. 01 October 2011, once and for all, starts a new chapter of my life, and dare I say, it is well past due.
"What is Ocsober?
Ocsober is a fundraising initiative that encourages people to give up alcohol for the month of October.
The money raised goes to Life Education, the organisation behind the
iconic educational mascot, Healthy Harold. For over 30 years, our
loveable giraffe has been teaching Australian children how to enjoy a
healthy lifestyle by resisting participation in drug and alcohol abuse.
This year, Ocsober aims to raise $750,000 to help Life Education and
Healthy Harold go into even more schools across Australia.Ocsober is also an important opportunity to highlight the growing danger of binge drinking and alcohol abuse, particularly among young Australians. Participants can also enjoy other potential benefits from a month off alcohol including feeling healthier and fitter, weight loss and the chance to enjoy Sunday mornings again!"
www.ocsober.com.au
In a couple days I will launch my page with my results and daily accounts about a life alcohol-free. And while this effort is capped at a month, I am confident this is a cause that I will be able to fully support throughout the remainder of the calendar year. This brief little blurb is not an attempt for any sort of martyrdom or self-righteousness. I would also be glad to speak to anyone more in depth about this should they care to know or listen. Personal betterment, as hard as it is to accept, should be on the top of anyone's agenda. This is how I choose to better myself, my running, and my music. And my relationships with my family and friends. I encourage anyone who reads this to, not financially, but emotionally and inspirationally support this decision. I also ask kindly to refrain from the invitation to participate in contradictory activities, as I will not, for a time, that is. (This is going to be difficult enough!)
More news from New York City to come- including great educational sessions, Follies and pumpkin spice lattes. Yum!

No comments:
Post a Comment